Fri. Jan 28th, 2022

Isle of Wight Observer News

The Island's Free Newspaper

East Cowes Brownies celebrate centenary

2 min read
Abby and Hannah cutting the cake

In December 1921 a Brownie pack was formed in East Cowes. The pack, now called a unit, has been meeting in the town ever since.

Throughout the ’20s and ’30s, both Brownies and Guides flourished in East Cowes. They were led by Mrs MacGill, who was the district commissioner for North Wight. In 1935 it was one of a few Girlguiding areas in the UK to receive a grant from the King George V Jubilee Fund. This grant, for the grand sum of £50, enabled the Guides and Brownies to build a headquarters, which was duly opened by Sir Percy Everett.

Current leader, Katie Charlton, has been with the unit for more than ten years. It was Brown Owl Katie who organised a get-together and celebration of the unit’s centenary with assistant leader, Marion O’Nions, known as Wise Owl.

Joining in the celebrations was Island Commissioner Linda Stone, and everyone enjoyed activities and games while looking back over the 100 years. One activity involved present Brownies trying to match old badges with the new badges from the latest Girlguiding programme. There was also a discussion as to which brownie uniform had been the most fashionable over the years, including the one designed by fashion designer, Jeff Banks.

This was followed by all enjoying a celebratory cake made by Brown Owl’s sister, who runs the Newport-based cake-makers, ‘Tiffin in a Tin’. This cake, complete with Brownie badge, was cut by the youngest Brownie, Hannah, age 7 and oldest Brownie, Abby, age 10.

Featured Image: East Cowes Brownies, L to R at back Katie Charlton, Marion O’Nions and Linda Stone