A LOOK BACK IN TIME: Two farmers respond to a complaint…

By IW Observer.co.uk May 24, 2022

The Isle of Wight Observer of 25th May 1901 gives an account of a response from two farmers to a complaint from St Helen’s District Council and describes the role of a Ryde man in a tale of derring-do during the Crimean War.

It appears that the cows driven down Appley Lane had caused some amount of nuisance, and that General Carr Tate and Captain Hutt had been communicated with.
A letter was read from General Carr Tate, who explained that there was no other entrance for his cows except at the upper part of the lane.
Captain Hutt also wrote stating that there was no other practicable way of taking his cows, and he was sorry to say that his man did not think it possible to train cows in the same manner as a dog could be trained (loud laughter). If there was any possibility of training cows he had never heard of it. In the event of a gentleman being able to instruct him, he expressed himself very willing to learn (renewed laughter). In the absence of such instruction all he could do was to get the cows along the road as quickly as possible.
Mr Stockholm thought that would be satisfactory.

When commanding the Weser in the Sea of Azoff, Commander Commerell crossed the Isthmus of Arabat, and destroyed large quantities of forage on the Crimean shore of the Livash, on the 11th October, 1855. This enterprise was performed by Commander Commerell at night, accompanied by William Richard, Quartermaster (subsequently for many years Chief Officer of Coastguards at Ryde, and still residing at Weeks, Ryde) and George Milestone, A.B. Having hauled their small boat across the Spit of Arabat, they traversed the Livash to the Crimean shore of the Putrid Sea. The magazine of corn, of which they were in search, lay about two miles and-a-half off, and to reach it they had to ford two rivers, the Karasee and the Salghir. The forage and corn, amounting to 4,000 tons were stacked on the banks of the latter river, in the vicinity of a guard-house, and close to from twenty to thirty mounted Cossacks, who were encamped in the neighbouring village. Commander Commerell and his two companions contrived to ignite the stacks, the rapid blazing of which alarmed the guard, who pursued them to the shore with a heavy fire of musketry, and very nearly succeeded in taking them prisoners.