Arreton St George’s CE Primary School will remain open, following a last-minute ruling by the Office of the Schools Adjudicator (OSA) which overturned Isle of Wight Council’s decision to close it.
The school was one of six proposed for closure in 2024 as part of the council’s plan to reduce surplus places across the Island’s primary sector. Godshill was removed from the list in December, and Brading, Oakfield and Wroxall were spared following a council vote in March. That left only Arreton and Cowes still facing closure.
The Diocese of Portsmouth formally appealed the decision to close Arreton, and the OSA ruled in their favour on Monday, citing serious procedural flaws. In a statement, the council confirmed that the school will now remain open in September.
“The council recognises that the process to realign the number of primary school places on the Island to the number of children requiring a place has been difficult for many, and we understand that this will be a very welcome decision for the Arreton School community,” a spokesman said.
Arreton’s headteacher, Nicky Coates, described the process as having caused “untold damage,” and thanked staff, families, and the community for their resilience.
Ward councillor Caroline Gladwin said she was “delighted.” She added: “I recognise how important local primary schools are to our communities, and I’m pleased that Arreton will continue to serve local families.”
A statement from the school’s governing body echoed her views, praising the unity and determination of its staff and families and describing Arreton as “more than just a place of learning – it is a family.”
The council has also confirmed that the OSA decision relates only to Arreton. Cowes Primary will still close.
At the Children’s Services, Education and Skills Committee meeting last night (Thursday), the chairman, Cllr Paul Brading, who said earlier this month there were “too many” primary schools on the Island and there would be further closures, sounded a more cautious tone, saying that “lessons would be learned” from the failed process “if we need to go down this route again.”
Director of children’s services, Ashley Whittaker, acknowledged there was a need to rebuild relationships with local communities.
Findings of the report
The Schools Adjudicator on Monday rejected Isle of Wight Council’s proposal to close Arreton St George’s Church of England Primary School, citing significant procedural flaws and an inadequate case for closure.
The decision followed a referral by the Portsmouth Diocese, which claimed the procedure used by the council was unfair and did not meet the required standard to justify the school’s closure.
The original decision, made in March 2025, was part of a wider plan to reduce surplus primary places across the Island in response to falling pupil numbers. However, the adjudicator found the school selection process lacked transparency and that consultation documents contained misleading data — especially in relation to the school’s pupil capacity, the future of its on-site nursery, and the anticipated use of the premises.
As Arreton is formally classified as a Rural School, the adjudicator noted there is a strong presumption against its closure. The council failed to properly assess the impact on the local community, environmental and transport factors, and realistic alternatives to closure. No clear justification was given for why Arreton was selected over other schools, despite scrutiny and full council opposition.
The adjudicator also highlighted a lack of accurate forecasting for displaced pupils and no robust plan to accommodate them elsewhere. The council was further criticised for failing to meet statutory requirements regarding communication and the publication of its decision.
Despite these findings, the report stated: “It is clear to us that action to reduce the number of surplus primary school places on the Island is appropriate.” The adjudicator stressed the importance of fairness, transparency and community considerations in any future school reorganisation plans.



