Fri. Dec 4th, 2020

Isle of Wight Observer News

The Island's Free Newspaper

Government support for Council through coronavirus outbreak

1 min read
MP Bob Seely has welcomed the news that the IW Council is to receive over £700,000

MP Bob Seely has welcomed the news that the IW Council is to receive over £700,000 from the Government to help them with their plans to support the Island through the COVID-19 outbreak.

The money – which has been allocated on the basis of the 2020/21 Public Health Grant allocations – is part of a £300 million package of additional funding for local authorities announced by the Government last month.

The money is intended to help councils to develop and action their plans to reduce the spread of the virus in their area as part of the launch of the wider NHS Test and Trace Service.

In a written statement on Wednesday (10 June), Secretary of State for Health and Social Care Matt Hancock said the funding would enable local authorities to develop and implement tailored local COVID-19 outbreak plans through for example funding the recruitment of additional staff where required.

Bob said: “This additional support from the Government is welcome. It will assist the council to deliver their plans to help the Island through the Covid-19 outbreak.

“All additional support is welcome at this time and I will continue to push the Government for further support, not only for the council but for all those who need it. This is my top priority.”