Wed. Oct 20th, 2021

Isle of Wight Observer News

The Island's Free Newspaper

No comment as homeless hostel plans are withdrawn

1 min read

Controversial plans for a homeless hostel in Sandown have collapsed after the owner of the property withdrew from the sale.

Two Saints, a not-for-profit company submitted plans in February to turn the former Hendre B&B on Leed Street into an eight-bedroom house of multiple occupation. They said the accommodation would be used to house homeless people who were ready to live independently and their plans would not ‘negatively impact’ the community.

However, the current owner of the property said the representative from Two Saints had not told her what they intended to do with the property and she had suffered a backlash from her neighbours and others who were unhappy with the plans. She said she had been led to believe the prospective purchasers had intended to continue to run the property as guest accommodation. Although she had hoped to downsize, no sale had been agreed and she withdrew the property from the market.

It was revealed, on the Isle of Wight Council’s planning portal, that Two Saints asked for the application to be withdrawn last Friday, two days after the IW Observer put the owner’s allegations to the company. Two Saints have not responded to our request for a comment.

More Stories