Wed. Oct 20th, 2021

Isle of Wight Observer News

The Island's Free Newspaper

Nine years for bank holiday child rape – but sentence under review

3 min read

A man accused of a serious sexual offence at a Yarmouth beauty spot was jailed for nine years last Friday (January 8).
Police were called to Fort Victoria Country Park on the afternoon of Monday, August 31, 2020, with a report that a young girl had been seriously sexually assaulted in an area of woodland by a man she did not know.

Following a thorough investigation, involving police officers from across the Island and Hampshire, Graham Medway, 62, from Freshwater, was charged with rape of a child under the age of 13. He admitted the offence at Newport Crown Court on Monday, October 26, 2020.
Appearing at the same court, he was sentenced to nine years in prison and a further five-year extension to his license period.
Detective Chief Inspector Liam Davies, who led the investigation, said: “I am so pleased that we have been able to secure justice for the young girl and her family in this case.
“I want to formally thank them for their brave support, as well as the public for their overwhelming response to our appeals. Both have been pivotal in achieving a successful conviction.
“It is also important to recognise the efforts of staff across the Constabulary who worked around the clock away from their families to ensure we were able to get this dangerous man off our streets.”

Superintendent Sarah Jackson, District Commander for the IW, said: “The officers involved in this awful case worked tirelessly to bring the investigation to the point we have reached today.
“Stranger assaults of this nature against children are extremely rare, and I hope the community feels reassured that when we receive these sorts of allegations, we will take them seriously and we will do everything in our power to bring those responsible to justice. We work very hard on the Island to tackle sexual offences in partnership with organisations that support survivors. We want you to have the confidence to come forward and talk to us if something has happened to you, or somebody you know.”
An NSPCC spokesman said: “This is a deeply disturbing case, in which a very young girl was subjected to a brutal and terrifying ordeal. Medway’s abuse will have had a profound effect on this child and her family, and it is vital they are provided with the full support they need to recover and move on from this.
“If you suspect a child has been assaulted, you can speak in confidence to NSPCC professionals on our helpline seven days a week on 0808 800 5000, or email help@nspcc.org.uk. If someone is in immediate danger always call 999.

Anyone with any concerns following the coverage of this case, or have any information regarding child sexual abuse, should phone 101.
It was announced yesterday (Thursday) that Medway is to have his jail term reviewed to see if it was unduly lenient.
A spokesman for the Attorney General’s Office said: “We have received a request for the case of Graham Medway to be considered under the unduly lenient sentence scheme.”
The maximum sentence for rape of a child under 13 is life imprisonment, and jail terms can range from six to 19 years.

More Stories