It’s confirmed there is ‘no money’ for problems in Ventnor

A government minister, last week, confirmed there is no government money available to deal with the transport problems in Ventnor and along the south coast of the Island.

During a meeting last Friday with Jacob Young, a minister in the Department of Levelling Up, Communities and Housing, arranged to discuss the £2 million a year funding for Ryde over the next ten years. Council leader, Phil Jordan raised the problems in Ventnor caused by a major landslip at the end of last year and other ground instability and the Military Road, which is in danger of collapsing into the sea in several places.

Cllr Jordan said: “Mr Young said there was no more funding available for our transport problems, which reflects the message we have repeatedly received from senior civil servants.

“He did suggest that we investigate, with his senior staff, whether there is any flexibility in the funding already allocated for the West Wight Greenway, which has been awarded to provide a route for pedestrians, cyclists and horse-riders from Newport to Freshwater Bay.

“As there appears to be no other potential sources of funding for the urgent problems facing Ventnor, I have followed up last week’s meeting with a letter to officials asking them to clarify what might be possible using some of the £13.6 million already allocated to the Island.”