Foster carers who can offer safe and secure homes for vulnerable children are wanted on the Isle of Wight.
The Isle of Wight Council’s fostering team has organised a host of drop-in events for people to learn more about the role, as part of the national campaign, Foster Care Fortnight.
Steve Crocker, director of children’s services, said: “We appreciate the remarkable work our current foster carers do, looking after vulnerable children who come into their care needing a safe, stable home to feel secure and happy.
“We’re looking for more carers to join our exceptional team, as there are still more children who need an Island foster family.
“We’re keen to talk to anyone with the right skills and home environment which could make a difference to a vulnerable child’s life.
“Foster carers can come from all backgrounds and bring a wide range of life and care experiences.
“There’s comprehensive training and support to help develop skills and meet the needs of children in care.”
For more information, visit https://www.iwight.com/iwforms/form.aspx?k=Fostering
- 16 May – 12pm to 2.30pm – Tesco, Ryde.
- 16 May – 3pm to 5pm – Ryde Library.
- 17 May – 11am to 1pm – Lord Louis Library, Newport.#
- 18 May – 10am to 12pm – Heights, Sandown.
- 21 May – 10am to 12pm – Freshwater Library.
- 24 May – 10am to 12pm – West Wight Sports and Community Centre, Freshwater.
Useful information about eligibility to become a foster carer:
- Must be at least 21 years old.
- Have a spare bedroom big enough for a young person to live in.
- Be a full-time resident in the UK.
- Be flexible, caring and capable of providing a safe and secure environment.
- Have the time available to dedicate to the child/children in your care.
- Carers can be single but they will need to demonstrate a network of support.
- Carers do not have to own their own home but will need to demonstrate stability.
- Formal qualifications are not required – full training will be offered.
- Additional work can be combined with fostering, depending on circumstances of carer and child.
- LGBT+ community fully supported.