Five Island Con guests have announced they will not be attending this year’s event as promises were not met and flights weren’t booked.
Ming Chen, a podcasters and AMC “Comic Book Man” announced the news that he would not be coming to the Island, along with other guests Bry, Mike Z, Brian O’Halloran and Jason Mewes of Jay and Silent Bob fame.
On Wednesday (October 3) Ming wrote on Facebook: “I am truly saddened by the news that we will not be attending this year. In short, with only weeks until the show, none of our flights had been booked and certain promises that were made in writing were not met.”
Ming speculated that the convention may be struggling financially and invited more guests than it perhaps should have.
He added: “I should have been wary when a number of guests dropped out three weeks ago but I was hoping it was an isolated incident. Apparently, it was not and they had dropped out for the same reasons we did. In the end we had no choice but to pull out as well.
Ming finished adding he was disappointed for UK fans who had booked hotels, non-refundable tickets and taken time off work to see them at Island Con.
He urged fans to demand refunds for pre-paid photo opportunities and autograph signings “before it’s too late”.
Island Con and Southampton’s Super Power Con promoter Benny Belton was criticised by Power Ranger actor’s booking agents, Galactic Productions LLC, for cancelling the booking of Power Ranger actors for both events on September 20.
Galactic Productions said on Facebook: “He did this without any legitimate reason or offering any resolution.”
Island Con wrote on Facebook: “We deeply apologise for the silence in regards to the turn of events that have occurred over the past couple of day. The View Askew cast will not be able to attend the event, and for that we deeply apologise for those of you who are fans of the Askewniverse.
“It is unfortunate that we have not been able to meet the criteria in order to ensure that the guests would be able to attend Island Con, and the only thing we can do is say how deeply sorry we are in regards to these circumstances. There have been complications along the way and these are understandably not a concern for the general public, however we have tried to do everything we can in order to ensure that we are able to send these guests to Island Con but sadly we have not been able to do so.
“On occasions things are beyond our control, however in this occasion, there were requirements we could not fulfil. This does not make up for the disappointment that is being felt right now but refunds have been made or are in the process of being refunded.
“With all of this said, the event is still going strong and we are working as hard as we can in order to deliver Island Con to all of the people of different cultures, genres and interest, this has been our goal and we will endeavour to see this through. There is still so much that Island Con has to offer and that is what we aim to deliver to all of you.
“Once again, we deeply apologise, not just to the attendees, but EVERYONE (including guests and other personnel) for the current situation. We deeply empathise with all of you and with that in mind, we will continue to work as hard as we can for this event. We have learned from all of this and each lesson learned is another wisdom gained and we will ensure that these do not occur in future.”