Mon. May 16th, 2022

Isle of Wight Observer News

The Island's Free Newspaper

Walk the Wight a huge success

2 min read

A huge turn-out of walkers – over 1,000 more than last year – took part in Sunday’s Walk the Wight to support Mountbatten on Sunday (May 8).

More than 4,000 walkers took part across the various routes, supported by nearly 200 volunteers, Mountbatten staff, and many others from various Island businesses.

Mountbatten CEO, Nigel Hartley, said: “Given all the challenges of the last two years and having only had a walk just eight months ago, we were delighted to see so many people supported us.

“This year felt extra special, perhaps because it has been three years since we last walked in May. The atmosphere was as good as anything I can remember; it was a real privilege to be part of it.

“We hope this is a real turning point for us after a very uncertain time caused by the pandemic. The walk once again showed what an incredible community we have on the Island so, on behalf of everyone at Mountbatten, including our patients and their families, I would like to say a huge thank you to everyone who took part.”

Team Orchard

Among those taking part were Team Orchard from The Orchard Brothers stores in Freshwater Bay. The family were out in force in memory of brother Richard, who passed away earlier in the year having spent his final days in the hospice.

Mark said: “I’ve done the walk on six previous occasions because Mountbatten is so important to the Island, but this year was more poignant as we were all together for our dear Richard.

“The hospice has had a tough couple of years due to Covid restrictions and it was wonderful to see so many supporting this cause.”

Mark was joined by his brothers Steve, and his daughter Amy, David, with his daughters, Sarah and Laura, and Laura’s partner, Rob.

Another walker was Michelle Wright, of Newport, who was walking in memory of her late husband, Steve; she has written our Vectis View column this week on page 23.

Walkers set off from 6am at Bembridge and many went the full distance to Alum Bay.
Some walked either the first or second half and for the first time, the final four miles of the main route was opened to everyone.

The Flat Walk from Sandown to Newport and the Schools Walk also attracted many walkers.

Walkers are encouraged to send in their sponsorship money to Mountbatten by September. It is hoped next year’s walk, on Sunday, May 14, will continue to see numbers return towards pre-pandemic levels.

 

Go to iwobserver.zenfolio.com/p865205571 to view the full Walk the Wight gallery.