Father pays tribute to hero Trevor Moyce who saved his life

A father has paid tribute to firefighter Trevor Moyce who saved his life after he blacked out at the wheel and his car flew off a bridge.

Trevor spent 30 years in the fire service, working his way up to Newport Fire Station manager.

He sadly passed away after a long battle with Motor Neurone Disease on Tuesday (November 13).

Tributes have been pouring in from across the Island, including from Wayne Child, whose life was saved by Trevor after a serious accident in January, 2010.

He’d been to Florida, hadn’t slept on the flight home, and was extremely tired when his Toyota MR2 left the bridge on Smallbrook Lane. The next thing he remembers is waking up in Southampton General Hospital.

Trevor Moyce and Wayne Child shake hands in front of firefighters

A tree had smashed through his windscreen causing serious injuries to his face and head, with paramedics believing he would lose his right arm at the shoulder.

“He literally saved my life,” said Wayne, business manager at Barclays in Newport. “Trevor was the first person on the scene, I believe he was driving back to the fire station after his lunch hour. He was first to find me and stabilise me until the ambulance got there.

“As much as all the surgeons and the doctors did a fantastic job of rebuilding my head and my arm and putting me back together, if it hadn’t been for him, I wouldn’t be here.”

The 37-year-old was gutted to here the news of Trevor’s passing and admits he couldn’t believe it at first.

“I knew he was ill and had Motor Neurone Disease which is incredibly sad and incredibly debilitating. But I didn’t fully understand how serious it is and how quickly it can take you away. I was incredibly saddened by it,” said Wayne.

He now has metal plates in his head and could have lost his arm if it wasn’t for surgeons, doctors and Trevor who was quick to act and stabilise him at the scene.

Trevor Moyce and Wayne Child shake hands surrounded by firefighters

Wayne reminisced visiting the fire crew at Ryde Fire Station after his recovery, spending the afternoon with Trevor and the crew to say thank you and show his appreciation.

He added: “I think they appreciated the fact I made the effort to go over there and thank them all personally.

“But it was especially for Trevor, he was first there and did the right thing and it was because of him that I am still here.

“Words are not enough to convey how I feel. If it hadn’t been for him there would have been nothing [left of me] to rebuild and I owe him my life.”

Wayne sends his love and sympathy to Trevor’s family.