Tourism reboot: ‘A new broom sweeps clean’

By Carole Dennett Nov 28, 2025
Will Myles and David-Curtis Brignell with Victoria Borwick of Visit England in July

The Island’s tourism body, Visit Isle of Wight (VIOW), has confirmed its most high profile departure to date. Managing director, Will Myles, who has led the organisation since 2018, resigned on Wednesday, giving three months’ notice of his departure.

His exit follows a wave of upheaval at the top. Earlier this month, 12 new directors representing the tourism industry were elected to the board. Just days later, chairman David Curtis Brignell quit “with immediate effect”. Long standing directors, Sally Beston and John Allen, resigned at a board meeting two weeks ago, while Companies House records show co-opted director, Rachael Randall, has also resigned. She told the IW Observer she tendered her resignation last Friday, adding: “I thought it was best for the new board to have a fresh start.”

The string of departures comes after months of paralysis and growing frustration among levy payers, including some of the new directors, who accused the outgoing leadership of repeated failures to follow the company’s Articles of Association and of sidelining Island businesses. When the IW Observer reported issues about Mr Curtis-Brignell’s employment, we received a letter threatening legal action from Crispin Dick, of Southampton law firm Paris Smith, who failed to respond when we explained our position.

The WightBID levy, which funds VIOW through compulsory payments from tourism businesses, has faced heavy criticism for a lack of delivery. The latest paper survey released this week, show a further 12 per cent decline in day visitors, while the number of overnight stays remained stable. Many believe the organisation has clearly been lacking, but the new board appears to have pledged to return VIOW to meeting its objectives and the effectiveness of its marketing campaigns.

Do ferries have an impact on tourism? VIOW doesn’t know!

Many levy payers claim that the organisation has ignored the impact of ferry fares and reliability on tourism. Mr Myles insisted to the IW Observer (in November last year) there was “no evidence” of such an effect, and said research was to be commissioned. Mr Curtis-Brignell told the IW Observer in October that the £28,000 study was unaffordable, despite accounts showing that last November the company had cash and reserves of over £570,000.

The board now comprises five statutory directors – representing the three ferry operators, Southern Vectis and the Isle of Wight Council – alongside the 12 newly-elected members – putting them firmly in control. Early signs suggest the new team is intent on resetting the organisation’s direction, and they have won some unlikely supporters.

A supporter of the NO Wight BID Facebook page welcomed the changes: “The WightBID was rigged from the start when retail businesses, who also benefit from tourism, were excluded and Will Myles was part of a culture that excluded levy payers from decisions. The election of these new directors has put some good people in place. A new broom sweeps clean, and I hope tourism numbers will improve. I’ll judge them by results, but at least now there’s a chance for real change, and I hope that all levy payers will feel they are getting value for money in future.”

New era at VIOW

A press release from VIOW yesterday said that the company was entering a new era and is “moving forward with confidence”. There will be strengthened governance with independent review, a comprehensive review of the marketing strategy, and regular members’ meetings. They are also encouraging all levy payers to complete a form and become members so that they can “have a meaningful voice in the direction of the organisation.”

A spokesman added: “This transition presents a genuine opportunity. We now have a board committed to transparency, a renewed focus on best value for levy payers and a shared determination to build an organisation the Island can have confidence in. This is a fresh start, one we are approaching positively and with a clear sense of purpose: get Island tourism thriving once more.”