Arreton Gardens Open Day raises over £2,000


Arreton opened its gates for a Garden Open Day, raising £2,200 for the Relate and St John’s Ambulance charities, in what was described by organisers as theis most successful day yet. Altogether, 391 paying visitors passed through the gardens, as well a number of children and students.

One garden of particular interest was that of Station House, located in the former Horringford Station, bordering the Newport to Sandown cycle path. The Newport to Sandown branch line closed in 1956, and the house has subsequently passed through a number of owners, before being bought by Lynn and James Roberts 15 years ago.
The platform on the former station can still be seen in the garden, which is bordered by the fast-flowing River Yar. To the back of the garden is a large paddock for a horse.

Another garden of great interest was that of Horringford House, owned by Adrian and Sarah Green. Horringford House was built in 1640 for Oliver Cromwell’s grandson and subsequently extended in 1718. The garden contains an extensive lake, complete with an island in the centre and a family of geese and goslings, which can be viewed from the cycle path running alongside.