A brand new awards ceremony celebrating all things canine on the Isle of Wight has been launched by Wightlink.
Island dog-owners are invited to nominate their favourite dog walks, places to eat and stay with their four-legged friends, attractions, beaches and doggy retailers so a shortlist can be drawn up ahead of the inaugural ‘Wightlink Woof Awards’ this summer.
Winners will be announced at Isle of Wight County Show on Sunday 30 June 2019, where Wightlink will sponsor the show’s canine area. Finalists for each category will be given free tickets to the County Show and winners presented with trophies, Wightlink travel vouchers and a goodie bag of treats.
Stuart James, Marketing and Innovation Director at Wightlink, said: “We are delighted to take the lead in cross-Solent canine travel. On a fine day our four-legged friends can promenade on our car ferries’ outer decks and when the weather is not so clement, they can enjoy the short crossing from the comfort of our designated pet areas.
“We’d love to hear from Islanders about their favourite places to take their dogs so we can share them with our customers and truly put the Island on the map as a top dog-friendly destination.”
Graham Biss, Chairman of The Royal Isle of Wight County Show, adds: “It’s paw-some to be supporting the Island’s dog-friendly status by hosting Wightlink’s very first dog-focused awards. We are looking forward to finding out Islanders’ suggestions and awarding the winners with prizes at this year’s County Show.
“We’re so lucky to live on the Isle of Wight and it will be a wonderful way to shout about all the dog-friendly aspects of our Island. Nominations are now open and we can’t wait to see you and your dogs in June at the Royal Isle of Wight Agricultural Society Show Ground.”
Nominations can be made via Wightlink’s website until 30 April 2019. An independent judging panel will draw up the shortlist.
Categories for the Wightlink Woof Awards:
- Best dog-friendly attraction – The attraction that has the upper hound for our four-legged friends
- Best dog-friendly place to eat or drink – The place that takes the biscuit as far as dogs are concerned
- Best dog-friendly beach – The beach that is pawsitively the best for dogs
- Best dog-friendly accommodation provider – The best place to relax overnight after walkies
- Best dog business – Which kennels, dog groomer, retailer, vet, dog walker deserves a round of appaws?
- Best Isle of Wight dog walk – The best walk to get tails wagging
- Isle of Wight dog of the year – Do you know a local four-legged friend that spreads a smile with a woof and a wag wherever they go? This dog can be a well-loved pet, a therapy/assistant animal, or a dog with a job that helps make someone’s life easier, safer or happier.
- Isle of Wight dog person of the year – An owner, handler, trainer, walker, vet, business owner who goes the extra mile for our furry friends.